Monday 5 April 2010

Cricket...



It wasn't really a big pavilion, more like a shed where you kept your kit while toiling under the blue skies...

The other pavilion was a better building, and your boots kept nice and wet for when you needed to put them on again for the next game on Far Field South, or Near Field North (The First's pitch...)

I can easily recall the rugby pitch though, (in front of the picture) and Taylor and I were wing forwards in a team which played against schools like Westerleigh, Claremont and Hurst Court!

4 comments:

Simon Tuite said...

This is what I would call the southern pavillion, or the one in the lower field (near where the November the 5th bonfire was situated). I can't identify the scorer or score keeper, but I would say the seated cricketer on the right of the pic is Pouncey, with Simon Hickes behind him.

Mike Armitage said...

You've got sharp eyes Simon!

How many Pounceys were there? I remember the eldest, who left in about 1959/60, and was in 'Sidney' with his younger brother, (whom I bumped into on a train a long later)!

Simon Hickes we've talked about too!

I'll see if I have the write-up on the team.

Unknown said...

Hi Mike

Would that Simon Hickes be the one who came to Claremont circa 1973 as a Junior Teacher? Taught geography.Got me through my Geography CEE.

Scrobs. said...

Neil, I think he must be the same guy!

Simon Tuite was a chum of his back then, and says :- "I bumped into him a few years after leaving Hydneye and he told me he was going into the Church, so presumably he’s trackable by that route should anyone want to contact him. On a quick shufti I’ve found a Simon Hickes, age group 60–64, in Sudbury, Suffolk, which could be him."

Is that any use?