Wednesday 29 April 2020

Richard Cail's pics...

Richard Cail (HHS 1961-1966), has just been in touch, and here are his pics!

Comments on names etc., would be welcome from everyone, by clicking on the link at the bottom of the post!

In the swimming photo, on the far horizon between the master's head and the bush, would be my family home, at Broad Oak! On a clear day, I could just make the place out if the sun was shining! Commander Campbell, a Maths master at HHS around 1960, once lent me his naval telescope, and I had the perfect view of our back garden! My mum was a bit concerned at that...!

1st Eleven Forwards.


My Dorm.


Sandpit.


Pentathletes.


Swimming.


Tigers running team.


Boating pond


Friends at Bodiam Castle.


Miller and Richard.


Mr Hilder.


Scoreboard.


Triple jump.


Richard on Hastings beach.

6 comments:

Stuart Roberts said...

I can put a few names to the folks in these pics. I shall have a good look to see who I can remember

Stuart Roberts said...

Pic 1. I recognise 4 of these folks. RC on the left, then I think it is the elder Hickman. The big lad in the middle is familiar but I just can't put a name to him. Next is, I think, Dryborough-Smith. The right hand man is unknown to me. All are wearing their colours socks, so this may well have been thaken to commemorate that feat

Pic 2. Mot sure of many of them but some are familiar. The lad on the extreme right was Anthony? Bliss Next to him may be Kirk and then Mozley. The lad on the far left is the elder Taylor

Pic 3. I recognise Ed Docwra (i) (1 in from the right), then the blond haired boy 2 along could be Asley Crichton. I think that behind him, with his arms raised is Douglas Kell CBE, DSc, MA, DPhil. On the left (the first fully visible boy) is M.N. Smith

Pic 4. Ed Docwra (shirtless on the far left), Next to him in day kit is Royce, then Ingram. The very tall lad in the middle is the elder Taylor

Stuart Roberts said...

Pic 8. I recognise Mark Seymour (i) on the right and maybe Bill Docwra (ii) in the middle although I may be mistaken with him

Pic 10. ALH is certainly "teaching" in the MCR as we are looking out through the verandah towards the tennis court

Scrobs. said...

That's some memory you have there, Stuart!

I can just recognise some names, but back then, a couple of years or so made all the difference in who your chums were!

Thank you so much for all this!

Stuart Roberts said...

Pic 12 shows GB sitting at the end of the sandpit photographing boys triple jumping. One of the pictures he took of this (could even be the one in this shot) is in the volume "Prep. School Life" of which I possess a copy

Stuart Roberts said...

*Ed Docwra is, of course E.D. Docwra.... always known as David