Thursday 2 August 2012

Rod Weir's newly discovered photos...

Rod Weir, who was at HHS from 1959 - 1962, has contacted me several times from Australia, and sent a marvellous set of photographs containing images which are so familiar, and also, there are lots of familiar faces as well!


He's given me the OK to publish these, and I'll start with a few here, and add to the collection soon!



Back, l - r, Wigram, Barton, Dunlop, Battersby, Kidd, Everton-Jones, Unsure.
Front, l - r, White (?), Boltjes, Bourne, Bower (?), Satchell, Unsure.

(If anyone has names to go with the 'Unsures', by all means post me a response!)


Davey and Kidd, in the old sports changing room - the cellar!


Dunlop front, and Drummond behind.


Faraday, the little dorm over the gym.


Front lawn view.


Mr Hilder with Mr Morrish's old car behind.

(Of course, if anyone is not that keen on seeing themselves in all their former glory, I'll respect their wishes, but this collection really is a great archive, and of course, totally original and as yet, unseen!)

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Fabulous blog, chanced upon it when I felt inspired to see if I could find any photos of Hydneye online - I never expected to find a blog about the old school.

Alan Lake Hilder if I recall correctly and he taught history? I remember him well, his somewhat baggy trousers and jacket with leather elbow patches - or is that just my memory playing tricks?

He would play table tennis with a lazy looking but highly effective stroke, what I believe is called underspin, he'd slowly slice the ball on the underside and it would end up reaching the other side of the table with a high degree of spin.

I remember "Fish's" car and of course the man himself and his wife . . . did we call her Minnie or something to do with a mouse?

Mike said...

Patrick - welcome!

I recall a Patrick (surname) from my days at HHS, and your memories are just right! In fact, it was 'Coddy', for some obscure reason, and Minnie Mouse was indeed his wife! They're mentioned in several posts here!

He was actually a great inspiration for me, and instilled much of my musical appreciation as well as some art, although the latter now has no real interest for me really!

I'd forgotten that Alan Hilder liked to play table tennis. Was that on that funny round table, which split into two halves, and was always in the bay-window in the SCR?

Patrick said...

Mike,

Surname to follow soon :-)

I have a slight reticence to comment online about personal things, one of the reasons I do not choose to use Facebook and others as a social medium.

I had a niggling feeling I wasn't getting "Fish" quite right, I now seem to remember "Codfish" - how hard it must have been for some of the masters to cope with our observations of their looks or character!

I don't recall the table you mention, but maybe it will surface. I'm finding it fascinating to read posts and comments. I'll endeavour to add memories as I read through.